STOP PRESS! We are seeking a Secretary and a Treasurer, as well as a Maintenance Coordinator. If you have administrative skills, perhaps one of these volunteer roles is for you. The tasks involve making sure we run the trust correctly. Training will, of course, be given.
Maintaining and keeping the mill open for our public open days (on average 2-3 times a month) needs the assistance of quite a lot of people. We would never expect our volunteers to commit to every single time the mill is open, so even if you can only do it once, please do get in touch.
We have a wonderful community of volunteers coming from all walks of life. Many live in High Salvington but some come from further afield. If you’d like to join us please send us a message. We welcome people to help out with the following jobs:
- Setting up the mill ready for open days
- Serving the teas and delicious home-made cakes
- Making cakes (we pay for the ingredients of course)
- Helping in the shop on open days
- Manning the gate as people come in, to take the entrance money,
offer tours and show them where to go
- Cutting the grass
- Manning a stall at the fete
- Step controller on open days (to stop people going in without a guide)
- Guide (we give training)
- Painting and general building maintenance.
If you want to volunteer, contact us on email@example.com
Here’s what one volunteer says:
“I’ve been guiding parties of visitors round the for several seasons and I find it extremely rewarding. People are incredibly interested in the history and the early technology used to produce flour. My favourite groups though are the school children who visit every year on a special group tour. The volunteers at the mill are a wonderful bunch of people, entirely dedicated to keeping this wonderful heritage mill living, breathing, and producing flour.” (Lucy Brooks)