Maintaining and keeping the windmill open for our public open days (on average 2-3 times a month during the summer) takes a fair bit of manpower, so we are very happy to hear from you if you could offer us some time – however little!
If you’d like to join our wonderful team of volunteers please get in touch or download and print out our leaflet to give to your interested friends. We welcome people to help out with the following jobs:
- Setting up the mill ready for open days
- Serving the teas and delicious cakes
- Cake-making (we pay for the ingredients of course)
- Helping in the shop
- Sitting at the gate as people come in, to take the entrance money, offer tours and show them where to go
- Cutting the grass
- Manning a stall at the fete (in 2020 the fete is on Sunday 12th July)
- Step controller (to stop people going in without a guide)
- Guide (we give training)
- Painting and general building maintenance.
- Here’s what one volunteer says:
“I’ve been guiding parties of visitors round the for several years now and it’s extremely rewarding. People are so interested in the workings of the mill and what we do. My favourite groups though are the school children who visit by special arrangement. The volunteers are a wonderful bunch of people, entirely dedicated to keeping this wonderful heritage mill living, breathing, and producing flour.” (Lucy Brooks)
Here’s a selection of pictures taken on past open days. or during maintenance work. Come and join us!